A scientist who studies plants repeatedly faced with a need to measure the leaf surface area. The most difficult task is to define complex leaves because the generally accepted scientific methods (contour method, weighting method, cutting method) have the greatest error.
To reduce the value of the error, it is necessary to increase the number of repetitions of measurements, which in turn contributes a lot of time.
Definition of leaf area is needed for agronomists, breeders, biologists, ecologists.
Knowledge of leaf apparatus is necessary for the following calculations in agronomy for determination of:
- Photosynthetic capacity of crops (FPP)
- Transpiration of plants (for setting irrigation standards)
- Photosynthetic pigments in cells of leaves
- Defeat leaves plant diseases and pests, calculation of economic damage threshold force (EPSH)
- Performance vegetative mass of plants
In the breeding work for determining the impact of varietal characteristics on:
- Forming leaf apparatus
- Resistance to diseases and pests lesions
In ecology for:
- Determining the impact of environmental conditions on the formation of plants
- Defining the populations of insects and microorganisms that affects plants
How to make leaf area measurement is a separate question. So we have already written about 4 most popular methods to measure leaf surface area.